Q: What Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) can I use?

It depends on the size of the trailer and the jurisdictional regulations.

Q: I would like to travel to other provinces, how do I get started?

If you're looking at doing Interprovincial transportation, you are required to have an IRP/Prorate/ Apportioned plate. You must also register for International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA). There may be other requirements that have to be met in some jurisdictions.

Q: How do I complete my IFTA reporting?

You can log onto your Provincial Government Tax website to file a tax return for your IFTA

Q: I would like to haul into the US, what is required?

In order to haul into the US as a for-hire carrier a DOT #, MC # are required. If you are hauling your own goods or exempt commodities, a DOT # is the only requirement.

Q: I have purchased a truck from another province, how can I drive it home without a plate?

You can purchase an In Transit permit. An In Transit permit allows you to travel from point A to point B. The In Transit permit must be purchased in the jurisdiction the vehicle was purchased in and the permit must be in the name of the purchaser.